The peaceful holiday region of Elm / Sernftal is surrounded by the mountain scenery of the Glarus peaks. The Tschingelhörner and Martin’s Hole are natural monuments of national significance. Twice a year, the sun shines directly through the 16-metre hole in the rocks on to the church tower of Elm.
Elm is the furthest village in the Sernftal. Clustered round the church are the beautiful old listed buildings at the heart of the village. These imposing timber houses have earned the village the Wakker Prize and other prizes awarded by the European Council.
In the village of Linthal the Suworow Museum commemorates the 1799 alpine campaign of the Russian general Suworow found himself compelled to retreat from the French army and thousands of his men perished in the snow in the Panixer Pass en route to the Grisons. You can follow in the footsteps of the Russian field marshal on the 15-km Suworow Trail along the Sernf (Schwanden-Elm).
The Glarus alpine landscape is of great geological interest and is a potential UNESCO natural world heritage site. The history of Elm and the Sernftal was dominated by slate quarrying right up to the 19th century as the slate museum in Elm will testify.